Before operating your chainsaw, ensure that it is fully and properly assembled. Turn the engine off and remove the spark plug cap from the spark plug before attempting to service your equipment. Wear heavy protective gloves while working with the chains on your equipment, especially while working with chains and bars.
The following instructions are based on the DCS6400, DCS6401, DCS6420, DCS6421, DCS7300, DCS7301, DCS7900, and DCS7901 model Makita chainsaws. Always read and be familiar with your equipment's operator's manual to understand the specific parts and procedures that pertain to your equipment.
- Step 1: Before mounting a new chain on your saw, check to see if the sprockets are excessively worn or damaged. Replace any sprockets that have the potential to damage the new chain.
- Step 2: Take off the sprocket guard.
- Step 3: Remove the chain and guide bar from the saw.
- Step 4: Remove the circlip. Hold it down with your thumb while you carefully remove it so that it doesn't jump out.
- Step 5: Remove the thrust washers.
- Step 6: Replace the sprocket guard with a new one.
- Step 7: Assemble the sprocket, thrust washers, and circlip.
- Step 8: Mount the new saw chain/guide bar.
For information about safety, warranty, and your specific model, read and be familiar with your owner’s manual.