Published on July 20th, 2016 | by Brandon4
How Lawn Tractors Work
What is a lawn tractor?
A lawn tractor is what you think of when you hear “riding mower”. It is a mid-size tractor with a steering wheel. Often times, different attachments can be put onto a lawn tractor, including a mowing deck that is located under or in front of the tractor. The tractor usually has a speed lever or a pedal.
- Four wheels
- Steering wheel
- Engine under the hood
- Removable deck located under the the tractor
How it Works:
- Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the start button to start the engine
- The mower can be driven once the engine is on
- Lawn tractors have many potential attachments such as baggers, mowers, plows, blowers, sweepers, and carts. If properly attached, the PTO (power take-off) takes power from the engine and uses it to run any attached items.
- The mower’s speed is controlled either with levers or pedals
- The blades rotate under the deck and cut the grass
- The deck can typically be lifted to traverse areas that can potentially harm the mower
- Keep the blades sharp
- Read your owner’s manual for suggested maintenance schedules
- Consistently inspect and maintain your tractor
- Keep the deck clean to maximize efficiency and minimize damage
- How to Change the Oil in a Lawn Tractor
- How to Change the Spark Plug in a Lawn Tractor
- How to Change the Air Filter on a Lawn Tractor
- How to Level the Deck on a Lawn Tractor