Published on July 20th, 2016 | by Brandon2
How Spark Plugs Work
What is a Spark Plug?
Spark plugs are devices that are responsible for “firing” and causing an explosion in internal combustion engines. All internal combustion engines have spark plugs, as they are a key component in the starting of the engine.
- Insulated Wire
How they Work:
- A mixture of fuel and air are pulled into the chamber from the carburetor.
- The spark plug fires at a precise time and ignites the gas mixture when it is at maximum compression in the combustion chamber. This creates the most possible power in each engine cycle.
- Once the engine is running, the spark plug continues to fire at a specific timing to maintain power.
- Keep spark plugs clean
- Be sure they are properly gapped
- See your owner’s manual for proper spark plug service recommendations
- How to Service Your Spark Plug
- How to Use a Spark Plug Gap Tool
- How to Read a Spark Plug