Published on August 10th, 2016 | by Brandon0
How to Install the Mower Deck onto Your Troy-Bilt Mustang 42” XP Zero Turn Riding Mower
Follow the steps listed below to learn how to properly install your mower deck onto your Troy-Bilt mustang. Proper installation will help to save time and prevent your mower from becoming unnecessarily damaged.
Before servicing any power equipment, follow the safety instructions laid out in your owner’s manual. Make sure the equipment is completely stopped, cooled down, and that no parts are moving before attempting to service your equipment.
- Step 1: Set the deck lift handle to its highest possible position.
- Step 2: Place the deck under the tractor from the right side. Line up the deck hanger brackets and deck lift arms as you do so.
- Step 3: Set the deck lift handle to its lowest position.
- Step 4: Pull out the deck release pins and move the deck so that the holes on the deck lift arms and the pins are aligned.
- Step 5: Push the pins in through the lift arms and secure the arms in the rear hanger bracket slots.
- Step 6: Install the front deck lift rod. Secure it with the cotter pin.
- Step 7: Check the deck to make sure the V belt is in the spindle pulleys.
- Step 8: Route the belt beneath the tractor frame and above the transmission tubes toward the PTO pulley that’s located on the bottom of the engine.
- Step 9: Bring the deck up to the position that provides the most horizontal belt position between the deck idler pulleys and the PTO pulley.
- Step 10: Be sure that the belt is in the spindle pulleys and that the backside of the belt is against both the fixed and movable idler pulleys.
- Step 11: Make sure the belt isn’t twisted. Reach under the tractor from the back. Grab the belt and pull it toward the PTO pulley.
- Step 12: Pull the right side of the belt backwards and place the V side of it into the PTO pulley.
- Step 13: Hold the belt and pulley together. Rotate the pulley to the left until the belt is fully rolled onto the PTO pulley.
For information about safety, warranty, and your specific model, read and be familiar with your owner’s manual.