Published on August 17th, 2016 | by Brandon1
How to Remove the Cutting Deck from Your Troy-Bilt Pony Riding Lawn Tractor
Removing the cutting deck is a process that you will need to undertake to accomplish a variety of servicing tasks for your tractor. It is important to be able to correctly install the deck to avoid unnecessary damage.
Before servicing any power equipment, follow the safety instructions laid out in your owner’s manual. Make sure the equipment is completely stopped, cooled down, and that no parts are moving before attempting to service your equipment.
- Step 1: Disengage the PTO.
- Step 2: Set the parking brake.
- Step 3: Lower the deck to the lowest notch on the right fender.
- Step 4: Remove the belt-keeper rod from the tractor’s engine pulley. To do this, remove the self-tapping screw that is securing it.
- Step 5: Remove the belt from around the tractor’s engine pulley and idler pulley.
- Step 6: From the left side of the tractor, find the bow-tie pin securing the deck support rod on the rear left side of the deck. Remove the bow-tie pin and remove the deck support from the deck lift arm.
- Step 7: Repeat the above steps on the opposite side of the tractor.
- Step 8: Move the deck lift lever to the top setting.
- Step 9: Raise the deck lift arms up and out of the way.
- Step 10: Remove the bow-tie cotter pin that is securing the deck lift rod to the deck. Take the deck lift rod out from the mounting weldment that’s on the deck.
- Step 11: Remove the PTO cable from the back of the cutting deck by removing the clip securing it. Remove the spring from the deck idler bracket.
- Step 12: Move the cutting deck out from underneath the left side of the tractor.
For information about safety, warranty, and your specific model, read and be familiar with your owner’s manual.