Published on August 10th, 2016 | by Brandon0
How to Remove the Mower Deck from Your Troy-Bilt Mustang 42” XP Zero Turn Riding Mower
Removing the deck from your riding mower is the first step in many important processes related to maintaining and servicing your mower such as removing/replacing belts and caring for the blades. Learning how to properly remove your deck will save time and hassle.
Before servicing any power equipment, follow the safety instructions laid out in your owner’s manual. Make sure the equipment is completely stopped, cooled down, and that no parts are moving before attempting to service your equipment.
- Step 1: Park your mower on a level surface.
- Step 2: Disengage the PTO.
- Step 3: Turn the engine off.
- Step 4: Set the parking brake.
- Step 5: Set the deck gauge wheels/rollers to their highest setting.
- Step 6: Raise the deck to the position with the most horizontal run of the belt between the deck idler pulleys and the PTO pulley on the bottom of the engine.
- Step 7: Pivot the idler bracket and movable idler pulley away from the backside of the V belt far enough to allow you to lift the belt up and over the idler pulley.
- Step 8: Slide the belt off of the PTO pulley from behind the tractor.
- Step 9: Take the cotter pin out of the front deck lift rod.
- Step 10: Slide the deck lift rod out of the front hanger bracket.
- Step 11: Find the LH and RH deck release pins on each side of the deck.
- Step 12: Pull the release pins out and release the deck from the lift arms.
- Step 13: Put the deck lift handle in its highest mowing position.
- Step 14: Slide the deck out from under the tractor.
For information about safety, warranty, and your specific model, read and be familiar with your owner’s manual.