Published on July 31st, 2017 | by Kyle E1
How to Replace the Engine Drive Belt for a Snapper P2185020
The following instructions are for the Snapper 21″ Series 20 Steel Deck Walk Mower, which is for the model number P2185020. Before attempting to work on/with your equipment in any way, always refer to your owner’s manual for safety information.
- Empty the fuel tank.
- Note the belt routing, there is no idler pulley on these models to disconnect.
- Important: Drain the fuel tank before tipping the mower. DO NOT tip the machine with the carburetor or spark plug down.
- Remove the driven disc.
- Drain the fuel tank before tipping the mower. Do not tilt the mower with the spark plug or carburetor down. Tilt the mower up on its rear wheels and remove the blade and lade hub.
- Hold the slotted end of the drive disc bolt with a screwdriver and remove the nut and internal tooth lock washer.
- Remove the belt cover, located under the deck.
- Lift the drive disc up and remove the worn belt.
- Loop one end of the new belt over the engine pulley and insert the other end through the slot in the deck.
- Loop the belt around the pulley on the bottom of the driven disc.
- Reinstall the driven disc and retaining hardware.
- Important: The square shoulder of the driven disc bolt must fit into the square hole of the bushing, the square end of the bushing must fit into the bracket slot.
- Reinstall the belt cover and tighten the bolt securely.
- Reinstall the blade hub and cutter blade. Recommended torque for the blade cap screw is 40 lb-ft (54 N.m).
For information about safety, warranty, and your specific model, read and be familiar with your owner’s manual.