Published on July 29th, 2016 | by Brandon0
How to Start and Stop Your Craftsman 46” Automatic Transmission Riding Mower
Learning how to correctly start and stop your Craftsman 46” riding mower will save you time, frustration, and potentially even repair costs. Yes, that’s right, incorrectly starting your tractor/mower can damage it. Avoid all of that by following a few simple steps.
When servicing your tractor, park on a level surface and disengage the mower blades. Lower the attachments all the way down, set the parking brake, and stop the engine. Take out the key and wait for the engine and attachments to completely stop moving before leaving the seat. Remove the spark plug or disconnect the negative battery cable before working on your tractor.
- Step 1: Place the key in the ignition switch.
- Step 2: Disengage the PTO by setting the lever to the PTO OFF position.
- Step 3: Set the parking brake.
- Step 4: Activate the choke.
- Step 5: Turn the key to START. Release it once the engine starts. Be sure to not hold the key at the start position for longer than 10 seconds each attempt.
- Step 6: Set the throttle/choke control to FAST before you start mowing. Do not leave the choke control on while you’re operating the equipment.
- Step 1: Disengage the PTO by setting the lever to PTO OFF.
- Step 2: Turn the key until it is in the STOP position.
- Step 3: Remove the key.
For information about safety, warranty, and your specific model, read and be familiar with your owner’s manual.