Published on July 24th, 2017 | by Kyle E0
How to Start The Engine on Your Efco TR 1551 Earth Auger
The following instructions are for the Efco TR1551 engine, which is for the Earth Augers. Before attempting to work on/with your equipment in any way, always refer to your owner’s manual for safety information.
- Place the earth auger on ground level and ensure that there are no objects or obstructions in the vicinity which could come in contact with the bit.
- Hold the right handle firmly with your left hand and put your right foot onto the base of the handle.
- Don’t press on the unit or the auger with you foot.
- Make sure that the throttle lever works properly.
- Open the fuel cap.
- Fill the carburetor by pushing the primer bulb a couple of times.
- Put the ON/OFF switch in the “I” position.
- Put the choke lever in the CLOSE position.
- Pull the throttle and lock it in the half-throttle position by pressing the button just below the ON/OFF switch, then release the lever.
- Grip the handle on the throttle side, lean the bar against your body and pull the starter rope until it meets resistance.
- Pull the starter rope hard a few times and when the engine begins to turn, bring the choke lever back to the original position.
- Repeat the procedure until the engine starts.
- Once the engine is running, press the throttle to release it from the half-throttle position and let the engine idle.
- When pulling the starter rope, don’t use the full extent of the rope as this can cause the rope to break.
- Don’t let the starter rope snap back, hold the handle and let the rope rewind slowly.
- When the engine starts at the starting-throttle, the engine speed will be fast enough for the clutch to engage and move the cutting tool.
For information about safety, warranty, and your specific model, read and be familiar with your owner’s manual.