Published on August 17th, 2016 | by Brandon0
How to Clean and Replace the Air Filter on Your Troy-Bilt 4-Cycle String Trimmer
A dirty or damaged air filter can cause irreversible engine damage if not regularly inspected, cleaned, and replaced when needed. Air filters are often very affordable fixes for a variety of different small engine problems.
Before servicing any power equipment, follow the safety instructions laid out in your owner’s manual. Make sure the equipment is completely stopped, cooled down, and that no parts are moving before attempting to service your equipment.
- Step 1: Completely unscrew and remove the air filter cover.
- Step 2: Remove the air filter from its housing.
- Step 3: Inspect the air filter for excessive damage. If it is beyond simply being cleaned, it will need to be replaced. If it is just dirty, it can be cleaned.
- Step 4: Use detergent and water to thoroughly wash and rinse the air filter.
- Step 5: Allow the air filter to dry.
- Step 6: Lightly cover the air filter with fresh SAE 30 oil.
- Step 7: Remove excess oil from the air filter by squeezing it.
- Step 8: Place the air filter back in its housing.
- Step 9: Replace and screw in the air filter cover.
For information about safety, warranty, and your specific model, read and be familiar with your owner’s manual.