Published on June 23rd, 2016 | by Brandon0
How to Inspect and Replace the Spark Plug of a Honda VersAttach Trimmer
A properly functioning spark plug is one of the most important components of any piece of power equipment. It should be checked if your equipment won’t start, or at a minimum of once every year.
If your spark plug needs to be replaced, make sure that you’re replacing it with the correct spark plug. Replacing it with an incorrect spark plug can result in engine damage. For the Honda VersAttach, the recommended spark plug is the NGK 7599.
Don’t operate the engine or the recoil starter handle while the top cover is removed. Remember to read your owner’s manual for safety information.
Recommended tools: Hexagon wrench, 5/8-inch spark plug wrench
- Step 1: Loosen the 5mm socket bolt on the top cover using a hexagon wrench. Remove the top cover.
- Step 2: Disconnect the spark plug cap, clean any dirt around the spark plug area, and then remove the spark plug. You will likely need to use a 5/8-inch spark plug wrench for this.
- Step 3: If any major component of the spark plug is noticeably damaged or worn, such as the electrode or sealing washer, replace the spark plug.
- Step 4: Ensure that the electrode gap is correct by measuring it and adjusting if necessary. You should use a wire-type feeler gauge to measure the gap, which should be anywhere from 0.024 to 0.028 inches (0.6 to 0.7 mm). If it needs adjustment, carefully bend the electrode to the correct position.
- Step 5: Install the spark plug by hand to ensure that it is properly seated and threaded. Use a 5/8-inch spark plug wrench to tighten it. If you’re putting your old spark plug back in, tighten an extra 1/8 to ¼ turn. If you’re installing a new spark plug, tighten an extra ½ turn.
- Step 6: Reattach the spark plug cap to the spark plug. Reinstall the top cover and tighten the 5mm socket bolt with your hexagon wrench.